Snack-Time Sorrows

I'm one of those people who needs to eat every couple of hours. When I don't I get plain old crabby and have a lot more trouble working. I always have trouble coming up with decent snacks. Craisins were my solution for awhile and I was bringing the super size bag to work. Trouble arose when I'd eat that whole bag within a week or two. Not such a great plan. I guess I should portion out my snacks better.

Lately, I've been looking for different solutions. I love granola bars, but the good ones can get spendy and they also tend to have a lot of preservatives and other things I can't even pronounce. So I found a couple recipes and changed out what I had on hand/left things out I didn't to come up with the items listed below.  I priced this out to be around $0.12/serving. This is way better than the Great Value brand I had been buying which were around $0.40/serving. These bars turned out great- even though I may have cooked them a little too long. They were incredibly easy too, not to mention you might already have most of the ingredients in your cupboards.

1. Mix ingredients (Melt margarine and mix with egg and sugar, mix dry ingredients well, then mix all together)
2. Spread on pan (I used 11x7 I think, but any size would work, just make them as thick as desired)
3. Bake at 375 degrees until it starts to brown around edges. (Mine were really brown, but still tasty)
4. Cut into desired number of bars and freeze in bags or stores in tupperware until you eat them.

I'm thinking next time I will work my Craisins into the recipe or maybe some peanuts. Either way, cheaper and possibly heathier. This could also easily be turned into a gluten free recipe if you switch flour and oats for gluten free options. Also, many people prefer butter, though I usually don't when I'm baking because it's quite a bit cheaper without much of a taste difference.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrifty Crafter: Natural Egg Dyes

Removing Lipstick Stain After Drying Clothes

Simple Slow Cooker Broccoli Rice Casserole