Roasted Squash Seeds - Better Than They Sound

Using up the last of the squash from this fall? Don't let anything go to waste. There are countless recipes requiring squash, whether it be butternut or spaghetti, but what do you do with all that goop you pull out? Well, I guess I throw away the actual "goop", but I make sure to pull the seeds out first. Baked squash seeds have become one of my favorite snacks. Not only do they use something that would normally get thrown out making them essentially free, they also are quite healthy.  Squash seeds are high in protein (up to 12g/cup) and have more fiber than other protein options. They also have loads of other beneficial vitamins without killing your calorie goals for the day. The last reason I love them is that they are rather easy to make and travel well. I have used seeds from just about every type of squash and the only thing I change is the baking time (less for smaller seeds). Now that you know they are great, how do we make them?



I cut my squash in half and bake it in the oven, thus requiring the squash to be scooped out before baking. I haven't baked seeds from a squash cooked whole yet, but I imagine it's possible. Pull out the seeds being careful as the seeds tend to hide making it easy to throw them out by mistake.

Once you have collected all the seeds, soak in water overnight.  This makes the seeds a lot less slimy and easier to handle the following day.


Drain the water off and allow seeds to dry for another night. I lay mine out on a towel which helps soak up excess water. The less water content, the faster they will cook. They also seem to be crunchier if they are drier when you put them in the oven.



Now that you have clean, dry seeds to work with, we can make something edible. Turn the oven to around 350o. I add a very slight amount of olive oil, just enough to coat the seeds. A dash of salt comes next. I haven't tried flavors yet since I really enjoy the natural flavor of the seeds, but I have heard of it being done. Add whatever suits your fancy (but try to avoid too much salt). Then scatter the seeds on a cookie sheet making sure they aren't bunched up.


I place mine on the top rack for 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the seed (longer for larger, shorter for smaller). You can also cook at a lower temperature for longer. However, we have discovered these seeds to be chewier and I like to have that crunch while I'm eating. Take the seeds out when they begin to brown and presto, you have a great snack to bring to work.

One thing to keep in mind if you decide not to soak your seeds-don't use the squash pan. I tried this once and my seeds turned into a burnt mess. I'm sure it would have helped if I washed the pan first, but I was trying to save time and do fewer dishes.  Another tip for those of you who can't stand the thought of doing this every time you bake a squash is that you can store dry seeds up to bake lots at once. I'm not entirely sure how long, but I know we had a container in the pantry for more than a month waiting to be baked. It might take a little longer to bake a ton of them, but then you only have to do it once or twice throughout the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrifty Crafter: Natural Egg Dyes

Removing Lipstick Stain After Drying Clothes

Simple Slow Cooker Broccoli Rice Casserole