Crunchy Rice Crackers




 Rice crackers are a great alternative to wheat/gluten containing cracker that you usually find in the store. They definitely have gluten-free options, but lets face it, nothing is going to be as cheap as homemade rice crackers when you're making your own flour.I know I have brought up my grain mill quite a bit, but I really think the grain mill is awesome. Also, rice is one of the cheapest things you can buy at the store. I think it was around $4 for a 5lb bag. This is where the grain mill comes in handy--rice flour is NOT dirt cheap at the store. Grinding rice flour is really, really easy as is only takes one pass through rather that a couple with the harder items like garbanzo beans.

These crackers are one of the easiest recipes I have ever made and is consists of 4 ingredients (plus spices if you flavor yours).

1.5 Cup Rice Flour
2 t Baking Powder
1 T Olive Oil
1 C Boiling Water
Seasoning to Taste

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix your flour and baking powder very well.
  3. Add boiling water and again, mix well.
  4. Set aside and allow mixture to cool.
  5. Add olive oil and knead (if possible-mine was sticky and basically just mushed it around with my hands)
  6. Dump onto cookie sheet-I used one with edges to make it easier
    1. The thinner you spread it, the less time it takes to cook. I couldn't get my to spread very thin as it was incredibly sticky.
  7. Bake for ~20 minutes
    1. Check fairly often. If you made yours really thin, baking time should go down quite a bit. I also wanted really crunchy crackers, but they can be taken out sooner and are a little more chewy. 
  8. Set aside to cool, cut into bite size pieces and enjoy with your favorite dip. 
    1. I had mine with hummus and they were delicious. I'll add the post on making your own cheap and easy hummus soon!
This recipe made around 35 crackers for me. They have a great texture and the best part:

****Total Recipe Price <$1 ****

They are quite filling too. This turned out to be 4 servings for us when we ate them with hummus. I think these would be great with some garlic or Mrs. Dash seasoning to add flavor if you don't want to have them with a dip. The only downside was that they had an almost sandy grit, which I didn't mind at all, but I'm not sure that would be great to chew on all the time. Next time I'm going to try to add more water or boil the flour with the water briefly before baking the crackers. I'll try to update the post to let everyone know if it works (or not). Happy cheap and somewhat more healthy snacking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrifty Crafter: Natural Egg Dyes

Removing Lipstick Stain After Drying Clothes

Simple Slow Cooker Broccoli Rice Casserole