Crafty House Warming Gift

My sister is moving into her first house later this month and I couldn't decide what I should get for a house warming gift. Usually if you buy something from a store, everyone knows how much you spent. Having said that, it reflects poorly if you spend say $5 when others might spend $20. So, I decided to make my presents. I recently taught myself to knit. It's pretty simple to learn and there are tons of how to guides with pictures and movies online. I didn't say I am great yet, but good enough to make something worth using.

I searched for towels or dishcloths, anything that would be fairly simple, but still useful. After some searching I found this great pattern online and it is actually offered as a free pattern, making it even better! The pattern makes two hand towels and three dishcloths. It calls for three colors, but I bought my yarn on sale and only two matching colors were on sale, therefor, I am using only two. You can buy knitting needles fairly cheap on ebay or if you will use them for more projects, it is well worth the couple bucks to buy some from Walmart or a craft store.

I bought the yarn from Jo-Ann Fabrics because it is cheaper online than in the store and with a minimum purchase, shipping is free. The total cost for the yarn came to about $6.50. This is a super cheap present as far as materials go. Obviously your time is worth something, but it's kind of a fun hobby to have and can be done while watching tv. For me this makes watching tv more acceptable because I am also doing something productive. I'm pretty slow so after about 2 hours I'm 1/3 done with one towel.  I will upload more pics when I finish the project.
Hand Towel So Far


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrifty Crafter: Natural Egg Dyes

Removing Lipstick Stain After Drying Clothes

Simple Slow Cooker Broccoli Rice Casserole